Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Parelli Natural Horsemanship, Very Black and the Seven Games


I meant to get photos. Really.., no kidding.., I meant to.., I;m gonna do it!

Sorry but this pic is the best I could do for now and yes it is from when Red Dun was still here.


Black and I have been playing with Parelli Natural Horsemanship and the Seven Games since he came back. We spent a lot of time on the first game but we are moving along pretty nice now.

1. The Friendly Game

Until you can win this one you can't move very far forward. It is a game that builds rapport and trust and confidence in each other. We are getting that.


2.The Porcupine Game

This game teaches a horse to move away from steady pressure. This game will keep your horse from pushing on you and keeps you safe as he learns to yield to your suggestions. Also begins the yields you will ask for when riding and moving him off your leg pressure.


3. The Driving Game

Another game that teaches a horse to move away from rhythmic pressure. Also, this game will help keep you safer around your horse and help him to learn to yield to rhythmic pressure. You driving game can support your porcupine game.


4. The Yo Yo Game

This game teaches a horse to back away from your suggestion. Then when invited back in, he can come back to you as close as you want. It helps him learn to move his feet both forward and backward when asked. Another safety move. This begins your "draw" for the Liberty sessions you will be playing with later.


5. The Circllng Game

This game teaches your horse to circle around you and maintain his gait and direction until asked to do otherwise.


6. The Squeeze Game

This game teaches your horse to squeeze between you and a tight space or over an obstacle etc and then turn and face you.


7. The Sideways Game

This game teaches your horse to move sideways away from you and will begin the "sidepass" type of manuever that you will use both in riding and at Liberty.


Right now Black and I are up to the circling game. We are finally almost winning the Friendly game with my Carrot Stick and Savvy String which at first I think he perceived as a lunge whip. Now he is starting to remember how good it felt when his Mama used to swish the flies off him with her tail. I think he is happy with his new Mama even though she carries a funny stick now.

3 comments:

Train Wreck said...

Oh the games people play!! How fun, It sounds like you are well on your way to passing this "new class" too!

Train Wreck said...

oh I was worried about you. I know thing get hectic in peoples lives. It was so good to see your comment. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and great start to your new year. Oct? Wow? It doesn't seem that long. I think maybe because I have you on my side bar, and see you? he he. I hope all is ok in your life. Good to have you back! ((hugs))

Train Wreck said...

Just checking on you. hope all is well. Have a great day.